Sucks like a Cuban

Leave a Comment

After weeks of complicated orchestrating with the most organizationally challenged person I know, I finally got Stiff out for a night on the town. Well a night out in Salisbury… which thinking back on it may have been the reason she wasn’t “available” for so long. She actually made the quotation marks with her fingers when she was blowing me off. Anyways, I decide to take her to my favorite restaurant which coincidentally also happened to be food from her homeland, Cuba. Honestly who knew, I thought she was Mexican. I know what you’re thinking, what was the health grade, right? Well it shames me to say that I didn’t check, but we had an American waiter, so I wasn’t too worried about it.  I thought for once that I would impress miss oh so culturally diverse, with my own expanding worldly knowledge. However two seconds after receiving the menu she laughs.

“They’re charging twelve dollars for poor people food!” she said condescendingly.

This was news to me, I thought everyone in Cuba was poor.  Well I figure it’s time to defend my savoir-faire.

“Steph, I thought maybe you wanted to share this experience with me, this place gives me a feel of where you come from” I neglect to tell her that up until that day I had believed her Mexican…. details.

She replied snidely “do you get excited to go eat a chili cheese dog?”

This was unfair; sure my history is as culturally diverse as a Baptist congregation, but cheese dog, really? She couldn’t even be bothered to make reference to my actual heritage. I would have said something about boiled potatoes, but cheese dog!?

“I certainly wouldn’t complain if someone else was footing the bill” I retort. That will put her in her place. Ok, I didn’t say this but I did give her my most serious pouty face. I think that shut her up, well either that or the delicious “poor people food”. Because not only did Stiff lick her plate clean, (I think that’s some sort of sign of gratitude in Cuba, like saying my compliments to the chef) but she also ate some of mine.  Of course, never one to look a gift horse in the mouth, she spit it out and cried “no, no, no ew!” She also requested some “poor people” dessert, but I figured that her level of appreciation was already disproportionate to my generosity. When the server came around to ask if we wanted any dessert I speedily cut her off, declined his offer, and handed him my credit card. That’ll teach her. Of course joke’s on me because she made me drive her all the way home.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.